Undergraduate Advising


Summer 2022 Virtual Advising Schedule


English Advisor: Gina J. Karp [gkelley1@uncc.edu] / 704-687-0065

All student appointments will happen virtually for the summer 2022 semester. Please make an appointment via Connect (connect.uncc.edu) with Mrs. Karp. It is the student's responsibility to contact Mrs. Karp at the time of their appointment. She will be available online (email or Gmail chat) or by phone (704-687-0065) during your scheduled advising time. If students wish to do a virtual Webex/zoom/Google Meets session, the student is responsible for creating the appointment and inviting Mrs. Karp to participate during your advising appointment

The English Department seeks to promote undergraduate learning by coordinating the English major and its several concentrations and course combinations that will ultimately aid English students in successfully achieving their goals and graduating on time.

Current English Students: Make an appointment with your Advisor, Mrs. Gina Karp, via Connect (connect.uncc.edu). You find your primary advisor's information in Connect and/or DegreeWorks. If DegreeWorks does not align with what you expect, please make an appointment with Mrs. Karp if your concerns need an immediate response (e.g., graduation, etc.).

Prospective English Students: Please familiarize yourself with our various concentrations and minors, all of which may be found here. Then, if you prefer to declare an English major/minor, see below how to declare. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Karp.

Declaration Information: 
To declare a B.A. in English and/or a Concentration: If you would like to declare a major and/or concentration offered by the English Department, please fill out the following Google form and give it a few days to take effect on your transcript/DegreeWorks.  Please see the requirements for the degrees located in the UNCC Undergraduate Catalog.
To declare a minor: Click here to declare a minor offered by the English Department.

Course Overrides: If you require an override to register for an ENGL course, please email Ms. Jennie Mussington ( jmussing@uncc.edu ). She is the only person who issues overrides (undergraduate/graduate) for the Department of English, and she processes them as they are received. If you are trying to register for a course in any other department that requires an override, you must contact that department. ENGL cannot issue permits for non-ENGL courses.

If a course is full, you should add yourself to the waitlist in Banner. If the course does not have a waitlist, keep an eye on the course to see if anyone drops it so that you may add it. No one can issue you an override to add an ENGL course that is full.