June 2020

Categories: Kudos

Monday, June 15, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I hope your summer is going well and that you are finding time for rest and renewal after the challenging spring semester we had. I know Liz has kept you informed about the updates to the fall schedule taking place. I really don’t have anything new to add, except to say that Liz, Lara, and Jennie have done a great  job scrutinizing the schedule and making sure the Registrar’s Office is making all the necessary changes. It is an ongoing process, so thank you for your patience. 

Gina has been busy preparing for the summer Soar sessions, and Angie and Monica have done a million and one things behind the scenes on behalf of the English Department. Tiffany, as the department’s online mentor, has been helping the TAs get ready for fall teaching and will soon be in touch to offer assistance to faculty. It really takes a team to run a department, and we have the best team imaginable. They have my most sincere thanks for the hard work they are doing. 

I am scheduling an informal get-together for the English Department on Friday 6/19/20 at 4:00 PM. I will send out a Webex invitation separately.  I hope you’ll be able to attend the get-together and connect with your colleagues. It will be good to see you!

Finally, because good news is always welcome, don’t forget to send me word of any accomplishments you’d like for me to share.  (And, if I overlook anything, please feel free to remind me). 

KUDOS

Bryn Chancellor is teaching a fiction writing class this summer for the North Carolina Writers’ Network (and boosted by Charlotte Lit). The course was supposed to be held at Davidson College but was moved online.   

Katie Hogan published an article titled “Past and Future Worlds: Queer and Non-Binary Dystopian Narratives.” The article is part of a series on Queering the Environment published by NiCHE (Network in Canadian History and Environment at York University): 

Kirk Melnikoff’s chapter “Isabella Whitney amongst the Stalls of Richard Jones” was published in Women’s Labour and the History of the Book in Early Modern England. Ed. Valerie Wayne. Arden, 2020.

Best wishes and hope to see you on Friday–

Paula